You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Red Cross Supports SW Iowa Family after Fire

Fire Safety
“The Red Cross volunteers were very nice and made us feel comfortable," Kim said.

Tragedy struck on Dec. 27, 2016 when a fire started in the laundry room at Kim and Bill Cobb’s Villisca, Iowa home. Kim was working in the restaurant she owns, but her husband, Bill, was at home. Fortunately, Bill was able to get out safely with their dog. But, the fire destroyed their kitchen and bathroom.

Kim said smoke damaged the majority of their belongings. American Red Cross volunteers visited their home immediately following the fire.

“The Red Cross volunteers were very nice and made us feel comfortable," Kim said.

The Red Cross gave the Cobbs financial support so they could replace food and buy blankets, gas and clothing.

While Kim and Bill are repairing their home, they are living in a camper next to the house. They met with an insurance agent and working to make their livable again. In the meantime, they’re cleaning up the damage.

“The Red Cross made a huge difference,” Kim said. “I don’t know what we would have done without their help. I’m so grateful to the Red Cross.”