The Red Cross is helping the region get ready for a 9.0 Cascadia earthquake and other disasters by holding Prepare Out Loud presentations in Salem, Tillamook, Manzanita, Corvallis, Medford, Eugene, Portland and Bend, Oregon starting in September.
September is National Preparedness Month and the American Red Cross is encouraging preparedness by kicking off a series of Prepare Out Loud presentations to help communities be prepared for disasters like a 9.0 Cascadia earthquake. The Red Cross Prepare Out Loud presentation directly addresses the seismic significance of the Cascadia Subduction Zone and what to expect following an earthquake of this magnitude. Following the presentation, attendees will understand the steps they can take now to prepare and the central role their actions and voices play in building our community's resilience.
"We can rise to the challenge of a Cascadia earthquake," said Amy Shlossman, CEO of the Red Cross Cascades Region. "First, we must understand the risks we face, the steps we can take now to prepare and why it's so important to share our preparedness actions with others. Prepare Out Loud gives attendees the tools they need to get ready for disasters big and small."
The presentations, which start on September 22 in Salem, will be held in the following cities on the following dates:
- -Salem on September 22: Presented by NW Natural in partnership with PGE
Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudSalem -Tillamook and Manzanita on September 30 Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudTillamook
- -Corvallis on October 4: in partnership with Samaritan Health Services
Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudCorvallis
- -Medford on October 6: in partnership with Asante
Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudMedford
- -Eugene on October 11
Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudEugene
- -Portland on October 20 in conjunction with the Great Shakeout: Presented by Bill Naito Company in partnership with Leatherman and Parr Lumber
Register at www.RedCross.org/PrepareOutLoudPortland
- -Bend on November 7
Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudBend
The Prepare Out Loud presentation covers:
- -The science and history of the Cascadia Subduction Zone
- -Human behavior during disasters
- -What to expect during and after a Cascadia earthquake
- -How to prepare to quickly locate your loved ones following a disaster
- -How much food, water, and supplies you will need to take care of yourself and others
What others are saying about Prepare Out Loud:
99% of attendees have rated the presentation as "excellent" or "very good"; 93% have found the presentation material to be "very accessible"; and the majority of Prepare Out Loud attendees described themselves as "motivated, inspired and hopeful" after the presentation.
Visit www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoud for more earthquake preparedness resources, including a:
- -Disaster preparedness kit- building checklist
- -Instructions on how to make a family emergency plan
- -Preparedness tips for seniors
- -Preparedness tips for pets
- -Information about water sources and storage
- -Information on how to prepare out loud