Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Advisory and High Wind Warning Issued for State
Rhode Island is expecting severe weather on Friday. Several warnings, watches and advisories have been issued for the state including a flood watch, coastal flood advisory and a high wind warning.
The Red Cross reminds everyone to be prepared for the threat of severe weather by following these storm safety tips:
- Put together an emergency preparedness kit
- Review the Be Red Cross Ready – Flood Safety Checklist
- Download the Red Cross Emergency App for up-to-date weather alerts, preparedness and safety information
- Listen to local area radio, NOAA radio or TV stations for the latest information and updates.
- Be prepared to evacuate quickly and know your routes and destinations. Find a local emergency shelter.
- If you already have one, check your emergency kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply, especially medications or other medical supplies. Keep it nearby.
With the threat of coastal flooding also a possibility beginning Friday follow these flooding safety tips:
Stay away from floodwaters. If you are walking and encounter flooding, stop, turn around and go another way. If you are driving, turn around and go another way. Do not attempt to drive through flooding.
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to see flood dangers.
Keep children out of the water.