Your browser cookies appear to be disabled. In order to use the site correctly, please enable cookies.
Response to Severe Storms in San Antonio, Central Texas
Following severe storms on Sunday night that impacted communities across Central and South Texas, the American Red Cross is stepping into action to help. Red Cross volunteers are working around the clock to provide shelter, food and comfort to families that have been displaced in the hard hit communities, including Bexar, Travis and Williamson Counties. We are working closely with government and non-profit partners to assess the damage and help people get back on their feet.
In San Antonio, a shelter is open and and disaster workers are standing by to help with immediate needs and health and mental health support:
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church
600 Oblate Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78216
In Williamson County, Red Cross caseworkers are available at 200 Main Street in Thrall until noon on Monday to sit down one on one with families that need shelter and other recovery assistance.
Red Cross Damage Assessment crews are working with emergency management in Travis County to reach out to families that may have been displaced by the storm and in need of assistance.
If you or someone you know has been impacted by the storm and needs Red Cross assistance, call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
· Do not touch any electrical power lines and keep your family away from them. Report downed power lines to the appropriate officials in your area.
Use a flashlight – not candles!
· Use a flashlight, do not use candles during a power outage due to extreme risk of fire.
Caution – Carbon Monoxide Kills!
· When using a portable generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator. Do not connect a portable generator to a home's electrical system.
· If you are considering getting a generator, get advice from a professional, such as an electrician. Make sure that the generator you purchase is rated for the power that you think you will need.
· Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning device inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.