You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Red Cross shelter open in Plymouth: arctic air hits

User News Image

An Arctic, howling wind has settled in Massachusetts and temperatures are continuing to drop.

The American Red Cross continues to be in contact with emergency managers throughout the state. The Red Cross is supporting a shelter at North Plymouth High School.

The Red Cross has four shelter teams on standby, and we are in contact with a number of communities throughout the state as the storm develops.

Many communities have opened warming centers as the temperature drops. Red Cross officials are very concerned about a possible increase in house fires due to the cold. To keep your family safe:

                    Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.

                    If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.

                    If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.

                    Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.

                    Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.

                    And when shoveling out the car, free the exhaust pipe before turning it on. Carbon monoxide kills.

Red Cross volunteers with Disaster Action Teams will be on standby to respond to residential fires, including today in Salem, MA, where a family was displaced.