The American Red Cross of Cortland County will host a Babysitter’s Training class for youth ages 11 to 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at the Red Cross office at 50 Clinton Avenue in Cortland.
Babysitting is often a teenager’s first business. Babysitter’s Training from the American Red Cross builds confidence to hold, feed, and care for infants and toddlers, work with children safely, and deal with emergencies. It also teaches lifelong entrepreneurial and career development skills.
The fun, fast-paced class includes hands-on activities, videos, role-plays, take-home training materials, and discussion that will teach the teenager how to:
• Perform basic child-care skills such as diapering and feeding.
• Choose age-appropriate games and toys.
• Handle bedtime and disciplinary issues.
• Identify safety hazards and prevent injuries, and care for common injuries and emergencies.
• Communicate effectively with parents.
• Find and interview for babysitting jobs.
The cost of the class is $65.00, which includes a Babysitter’s Training Certificate from the American Red Cross, handbook and CD ROM. All students who complete the course will receive an American Red Cross certified babysitter pin.
Mark’s Pizzeria has generously donated pizza for students to enjoy during their lunch break.
Space is limited and advanced registration is required. To register, call 1-800-733-2767, or visit www.redcross.org/take-a-class.