The shelter opened by the American Red Cross of Central New York for tenants who were displaced from their homes by a fire May 2 at an apartment building on Court Street in Syracuse will remain open until noon May 4, the Red Cross announced.
Six adult tenants stayed at the shelter May 2, and at least seven adults were expected to stay May 3. The shelter was at St. Lucy’s Church on Gifford Street in Syracuse, and Red Cross volunteers provided the tenants with food, drinks, cots, blankets, personal hygiene items and counseling, if requested. An adult male died in the fire.
The Red Cross will close the shelter May 4 because all of the tenants who requested temporary lodging have found more permanent lodging starting May 4. Even after the shelter is closed, Red Cross volunteers will remain available to the tenants for support, counseling and referrals to local agencies that will provide long-term assistance during their recovery.
On May 3, Red Cross volunteers responded to a house fire on Naylor Circle in Van Buren (Onondaga County) that that claimed the life of an infant girl. The family initially declined assistance, but Red Cross volunteers will remain available to the family if it requests help of any kind.
TWO LIFESAVING STEPS
The American Red Cross has launched an initiative to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25 percent over the next five years. The Red Cross is asking every household in America to take two simple steps: check existing smoke alarms and practice fire drills at home.
As part of the Home Fire Campaign, the Red Cross is joining with fire departments and community groups nationwide to install free smoke detectors in homes that need them. For more information or to schedule an installation, please contact the American Red Cross of Central New York at 315-234-2299 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo: American Red Cross volunteers, from left to right, Rich Plumpton, Tina Carey and Doug North respond to a fatal fire May 2 on Court Street in Syracuse.