Nine days and nights of rides, exhibitions, grandstand entertainment, 4-H shows and food, providing those who attend a marvelous time at the great Darke County Fair! To insure that you continue to have a marvelous time, the Darke County Chapter of the American Red Cross offers these safety tips for fairgoers:
• Be aware of the animals around you and their environment. Cows still kick, horses still bite, chickens still peck-even if they are on their best “fair” behavior.
• When allowing older children to enjoy the fair independently, make sure you meet up with them frequently, which will allow them their fun, but also allow you to keep tabs on any ongoing situations.
• Make sure that children coming to the fair alone have a way to contact you at all times. In case of an emergency or if any medical treatment is needed, children under eighteen will need a parent’s or guardian’s signature to be released from EMS care.
• Establish with your younger children what do to if they become separated from you and “you” become lost. Tell them, who they should ask for help, where to go, whom can they trust and how to deal with strangers.
• Carry with you a small “first-aid kit” consisting of Band-Aids, pain relievers, emergency phone numbers, and antacids.
• Pace yourself-there is plenty of fair and the time to enjoy it. Especially with hot weather, make sure that you drink plenty of water. There are a variety of comfort and respite centers across the fairgrounds, stop in for water and rest your feet. Be aware of heat exhaustion symptoms, especially in the very young and the elderly. If you’re unsure, stop by the Red Cross Comfort Station, become informed, cool off and enjoy more of the Darke County Fair.
Each day at the Great Darke County Fair we’ll be doing something different at our Comfort Station, from free Blood Pressure Screenings, Pictures with Anne, Holiday Mail for Heroes, Citizen CPR demos, Celebrity Autographs, to just name a few and you can always stop by for a free cool drink of water or if you need sunscreen or just a place to rest. We’re located at the Northside of the Grandstands next to emergency services.
People can find all of the Red Cross apps in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store by searching for American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/mobileapps. Download the First Aid and Tornado App before you head out to the Great Darke County Fair.