The American Red Cross of Ottawa County hosted “A Bavarian Summer Fest – Willkommen!” on Friday, July 18 at the Catawba Island Club. The 7th annual fundraising gala was a benefit for local Red Cross disaster relief and recovery.
Club Red members created a Bavarian garden that held an expanded silent auction courtesy of generous local businesses and patrons. The Lake Erie Brewing Company and German vinter Max Ferd Richer were popular features in the garden. The evening was filled with the lively music by the Edelweiss Combo of Cleveland. Guests were seen wearing lederhosen and traditional Bavarian dress. Carol Schemmer served as this year’s event chair and Barbara Gravengaard served as co-chair.
Auctioneers Greg Peiffer of WPCR/WPIB and Norm Peiffer rallied the crowd to a spirited live auction that included:
- Vacation getaways to Sanibel Island, Hilton Head, and Key Colony Beach donated by Carol Schemmer, Diane Rutherford and the Stouffer Family
- An original oil by Rick Dziak
- Dinner on Rattlesnake Island donated by Jan and Michele Graves
- One-year Freedom Boat Club membership
- Use of the Benson Ford Shiphouse on Put-in-Bay, courtesy of Bryan Kaspar, complete with appetizers from Club Red, wine from Heineman’s Winery and round-trip tickets from Miller Boatline
- A flight tour over the Lake Erie Islands courtesy of Richard Reid
- A half-hog from Hasselbach Meats
- Sunday Brunch at the Catawba Island Club and a two-hour cruise on the 73’ Burger GEMINI courtesy of the Stouffer Family
- Dinner and chopped competition courtesy of Ed and Shirley Carlson
- A signed and numbered gouache print by Robert A. Robear donated by Dr. Gregory Hart
Mike “Mad Dog” Adams was also present to strum his well-travelled guitar one last time before personally autographing it for the winning bidder.
Columbia Gas of Ohio, Crown Battery Manufacturing Co, First Energy Foundation, and Janotta & Herner shared the Fairytale Castle Royal sponsor level. Danube River Captain sponsors included Carbo Forge, Inc, Genoa Bank, Magruder Hospital, O.E. Meyer Company, red, white & brew of Elmore, R.J. Runge Company, Inc., The Boardwalk Island Grill & Bar, United States Gypsum, West Harbor Dental, Rick and Carol Hannon, and Anthony and Myrna Pastore.
Black Forest Adventurer Sponsors Included:
Bavarian Garden Revelers for the event were Daneen Hirbe; Kopf Construction Corp; Marine Max; Eric and Peggy Rolf; The Goat, Soup and Whiskey; and Duke and Rhonda Thorson.
Club Red is a ladies’ auxiliary providing educational opportunities to further the services and programs of the American Red Cross of Ottawa County. The volunteer-led group is devoted to humanitarian services and compassion.