To celebrate the Great ShakeOut, the Cascades Region of the American Red Cross is hosting a Twitter contest to capture the best “selfie” taken during the Oct. 17 Great ShakeOut drill. A “selfie” is a photograph taken of oneself, often arms-length away. So mark your calendar for the Great ShakeOut on Oct. 17, and get ready to “drop, cover, hold on and selfie!”
Official Contest Rules:
1. You must have an account on Twitter. To create an account, visit twitter.com
2. Follow @RedCrossPDX on Twitter
3. Take a photo of yourself (aka “selfie”) during the Great ShakeOut
4. Upload the photo and tweet it using the hashtag #ShakeOutSelfie
5. Indicate contest category using the category hashtags listed below (may select more than one)
6. Photos must be submitted Oct. 17-20.
7. You must reside in the Cascades Region, which covers the state of Oregon and Southwest Washington (Pacific, Wahkiakum, Cowlitz, Clark, Skamania and Klickitat counties)
1. Most creative thing to drop under #drop
2. Most likely to survive the quake #survive
3. Best earthquake drill expression #expression.
Participants can apply to more than one category. (If you do not indicate a category, but still use the hashtag #shakeoutselfie, our judges will select a category for you!)
Preparedness backpacks, t-shirts, and water bottles are just a few of the items that the Red Cross and Oregon Emergency Management are providing for finalists in each category. For a full lists of prizes, visit www.redcross.org/news/article/or/portland/Prizes-announced-for-the-ShakeOutSelfie-Twitter-contest. Winners will be announced during the week of Oct. 21, and will be notified via direct message on Twitter (must follow @RedCrossPDX to receive a direct message). Winning pictures will also be shared via Red Cross blog and social media accounts.