American Red Cross of Western Maryland Honors Nine Volunteers for Outstanding Service
The American Red Cross of Western Maryland hosted a volunteer recognition luncheon at the Myersville Banquet & Event Hall this past Sunday, November 1, 2015.
The Western Maryland Chapter honored nine volunteers for their dedication to the mission and hard work over the past year. In addition, 29 volunteers received years of service pins celebrating five to 40 years of volunteerism with the Red Cross. The two recipients of the 40 year pins were Bettie Hull from Boonsboro, MD and Loretta Mulcahey from Hagerstown, MD.
The Beulah T. Meyers Award for Humanitarian Services is the highest award for volunteer service of the Western Maryland Chapter. Award recipients are volunteer “champions” who are innovative leaders, dedicated to the mission of the Red Cross and go beyond chapter expectations. The 2015 recipient was Steve Finger from La Vale, MD. Steve has volunteered in various roles with the American Red Cross of Western Maryland since 2012. He is a Chapter Board of Directors member and has used that role to be a consistent representative of the mission of the Red Cross throughout Allegany and Garrett Counties. He is a dedicated member of the Disaster Action Team, providing services and comfort to community members immediately following emergencies such as home fires, floods, and winter storms. Steve also acts as a Chapter Public Information Officer, representing the organization to local media outlets.
Other volunteer awards given out include the Line of Service Awards, which honor someone who has demonstrated exceptional volunteerism in each line of service within the Red Cross.
Service to the Armed Forces
Joan Derk, from Thurmont, MD, received the award for her continued volunteer service at Ft. Detrick’s Military Treatment Facility. She has selflessly provided Red Cross support to military members and their families for more than 16 years. When offered any kind of thanks for accolades she has shown the utmost humility and expressed that she is there simply to help and serve. Joan has exemplified what it means to be a Red Cross volunteer, and has been an extremely positive presence at Ft. Detrick’s Medical Treatment Facility.
Disaster Cycle Services
Rolfe Singerman, from Cumberland, MD, has been a Disaster Action Team (DAT) member since 2012. In the past year, Rolfe has responded to fire responses both in Allegany and Garrett Counties. Logging at least 40 cases in the period where he was either primary or secondary responder, always willing to respond, and does so with a lot of heart and compassion are just a few of the reasons he received this award. In the last four months, Rolfe has taken on the challenge of identifying and surveying potential shelter sites in Allegany County. He has also been taking extra classes, even though they include a long commute to Walkersville, to brush up on his skills.
Biomedical Services, The Leonard and Jane Schwab Blood Services Volunteer Award
Granville Nelson, from Smithsburg, MD, is a permanent fixture at several Washington County blood drives, helping with both the registration and hospitality areas. He tirelessly performs his volunteer duties without complaints and is always available at the last minute if another volunteer is unable to perform their duties.
Health and Safety Services
Nelson Hartman, from Hagerstown, MD, is a Preparedness, Health, and Safety Services volunteer instructor in Washington County. He has been an instructor for more than 20 years. He teaches First Aid, CPR, & AED courses at least once a month, and in the last year has taught more than 20 community courses.
Youth and Young Adult (Individual or Club)
Shivani Shah, from Frederick, MD, is the Red Cross Club President at Urbana High School. She has held the position for the past two school years, and this year has grown her Club by nearly 30 new student members. Through her leadership, her Club has led successful blood drives and fundraisers to benefit the Red Cross, as well as supported Regional youth events.
Board of Directors
Peter McDonald, from Hagerstown, MD, has been serving on the Chapter Board of Directors for the past five years, currently serving as the Vice Chairman of the Board. Peter has most recently taken on the planning an execution of the annual fundraising event Caring Hands Gift Wrap. Peter is a dedicated champion for the Red Cross in our Chapter.
Tisha May, from Hagerstown, MD, received this award because of her dependability and productiveness for the Red Cross. She is always ready to help with whatever is needed and always does her work with a smile. She is a pleasure and the office staff looks forward to working with her on Tuesdays. Tisha was also the winner of the 2014 Beulah T. Meyers Award for Humanitarian Services.
Laura Heck, from Mount Airy, MD, supports the Red Cross mission as a member of the Volunteer Services team. She works throughout the Chapter and Region representing the Red Cross at community events, sharing the mission, educating community member on emergency preparedness, and recruiting new supporters of the efforts of the Red Cross. She also dedicates much of her service time to the youth programs of the Red Cross as our Chapter’s Club Coordinator. She works with high school and college Red Cross Clubs throughout our Chapter to help them succeed in carrying out mission related activities in their communities.
“Our volunteer base is extremely strong and passionate about the mission of the American Red Cross,” said Nicholas Geier, Executive Director of the American Red Cross of Western Maryland. “It was a pleasure to recognize all of our volunteers at this event and to announce the individual awards honoring these nine extremely deserving volunteers for all of their hard work over the past year.”
Those interested in volunteering can learn more by clicking here to see a list of available positions and to complete the application.
Years of Service Pins:
- Mark Barbernitz - Van Driver for the Veteran Transportation Program
- John Crowl - Van Driver for the Veteran Transportation Program
- Paul Frey - Chairman of the Western Maryland Chapter Board of Directors
- Terry Galloway - Disaster Action Team Leader
- Peter McDonald - Vice Chairman of the Western Maryland Chapter Board of Directors
- Granville Nelson - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Brian Ogle - Member of the Western Maryland Chapter Board of Directors
- Mark Rose - Disaster Action Team Responder
- Pauline Rose - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Mike Waugh - Van Driver for the Veteran Transportation Program
- Betty Barbot - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Karen Birenbaum - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Kari Gang - Disaster Action Team Responder
- Joe Gee - Disaster Action Team Responder and Disaster Spiritual Care Leader
- Mary Jackson - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Sandy Krause - Disaster Action Team Responder and Service to the Armed Forces volunteer
- Catherine Loun - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Betty Mitchell (Elizabeth Rosfeld) - Disaster Action Team Responder
- Betty Smith - Community Engagement Volunteer with blood pressure readings
- Elsie Tobin - Blood Donor Ambassador
- Sharon Logdon - Disaster Services Volunteer
- James Robison - Disaster Action Team Responder
- Eric Gammeter - Disaster Services Technology and Building Services Volunteer
- Faye Katchur - Faye has volunteered in both Frederick and Washington Counties utilizing her professional experience as a nurse to support blood drives throughout our Chapter.
- Bob Lawn - Bob has long been a Board member or Chair of our local chapter as well as the Greater Alleghenies Blood Region Board in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. He brought his knowledge and dedication not only to blood services but to all aspects of the Red Cross mission.
- Zoe Ann Everett - Zoe Ann, or “Angel” as others may know her, volunteers as a greeter at blood drives with the Hagerstown Donor Center and others all throughout Washington County. She is clear about her love for serving others, and our area has benefitted from that greatly.
- Cassandra Weaver - Cassie has served in many roles with the Red Cross, beginning as a teenager volunteering in the youth program, staying involved over the years, and eventually even serving terms as Board Chair. Cassie is an advocate for service in our community.
- Bettie Hull - Bettie has been a dedicated Biomedical Services volunteer since 1975. She volunteers at various blood drives around Washington County and has captained and coordinated the Boonsboro Legion making it a longstanding, consistent drive within our Chapter.
- Loretta Mulcahey - Loretta’s volunteer experience with the Red Cross has spanned numerous countries and states.