Thank you for your interest in the American Red Cross Summer Internship Program. The application period for 2012 has ended. Please check back at this site in March 2013 if you’re interested in an internship in the 2013 Summer Internship Program.
There are internships throughout the year in different departments and ongoing volunteer opportunities, too. Please click on one of the links below to look for positions of interest.
Become a Volunteer – look for volunteer opportunities and non-paid internships. Please enter your zip code to find opportunities close to your location.
Become an Employee – look for paid intern positions and other employment opportunities.
- The application period typically runs during the first quarter of each year.
- Candidates may apply for as many paid and non-paid positions as they desire.
- Interns work at our Washington, D.C. headquarters.
Available internship positions vary from year to year according to our needs. However, in most years, the program offers approximately 30 internship positions in almost every Red Cross line of business. Recently these have included:
- Intern - Biomedical Manufacturing Engineering
- Intern - Celebrity and Entertainment Outreach
- Intern - Communications Disaster Public Affairs
- Intern - Customer Relationship Management
- Intern - Disaster Services Business Integration
- Intern - Disaster Services Client Casework
- Intern - Disaster Services Disaster Partnership
- Intern - Disaster Services Field Logistics
- Intern - Disaster Services Mass Care
- Intern - Disaster Services Operations
- Intern - Disaster Services Performance Improvement
- Intern - Disaster Services Readiness & Capacity Development
- Intern - Foundations Partnerships
- Intern - Government Operations Readiness and Capacity Development
- Intern - IT Information Security
- Intern - Information Technology IT Corporate Portfolio
- Intern - Business Operations International Services
- Intern - Public Affairs Media Relations
- Intern - Service to the Armed Forces Service Delivery Unit
- Intern - Service to the Armed Forces Policy and Program Development Unity
- Intern - Service to the Armed Forces Youth in Military Medical Facilities (Service Delivery Unit)
- Intern - Social Media Journalist
- Intern - Treasury Management
- Working with their sponsors, candidates will help determine their own work schedules and number of hours per week they will dedicate to the program.
- Positions are open to students who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs at the time of submitting the application.
- Phase I Preliminary Selection: April
- Phase II Final Selection: May
- Phase III Hiring Process: late May
Preliminary review of all internship applications. All selected candidates will be contacted and there will be a telephone interview scheduled with departmental sponsors.
Interviews are conducted. Notifications are sent to all applicants by the beginning of May.
All selected applicants for the internship program will be required to complete volunteer forms provided to them by the American Red Cross Human Resources Department.