This program is to provide those volunteers accepted into the program with comprehensive training and knowledge needed to assist competently in many fields of dentistry and able to compete successfully for employment in the dental assisting profession.
Length of Program:
Start date November 28, 2022 through August 2023.
The Dental Assistant Program is a ten-month, 40-hour per week training program, and includes 1,000 volunteer hours of classroom and chair-side instruction. Participant selection will be determined through interview process. Those selected will receive intense training in all aspects of dental assisting - from dental radiology to dental anatomy, and from sterilizing dental instruments to chair-side clinic time.
Selectees will be required to register as American Red Cross volunteers; attend Red Cross orientation; and complete an on-boarding path, required by the Dental Assistant Training Program. After the final selection process, applicants must complete the American Red Cross CPR Basic Life Support (BLS) class.
(Free to all Dental Students)
Now through October 21, 2022
Interview Period (for those selected):
October 24 - 28, 2022
Notification of Selected Candidates:
Mid November 2022
- Deros minimum of 12 months upon completion of the program.
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED
- Volunteer Dental Assistant Program Application
- Personal Essay on one or all the following topics (no specific format):
- Why should you be selected as a candidate for the DENTAC Program?
- Your knowledge of the Dental profession and what personal attributes would you bring to the profession?
- Why are you interested in becoming a Dental Assistant?
- Two letters of Recommendation (Family members excluded)
- In-person interview with Dental Program Leadership & Red Cross Lead Assistant
- Upon completion of the Dental Assistant Program, you will be able to take the National Board Certification at your expense. Please check your local state guidelines for requirements.
- When application packet is ready, you may drop packet off at Schofield Barracks Dental Clinic, building 660, to Jessica Moore- Red Cross Lead Assistant
Link to Application Form
Point of Contact: Claudia De Marini-Welihan, Red Cross SAF-IS Senior Regional Program Specialist at 808-281-4617 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org