Make a Plan
Create and practice an emergency plan so your family will know what to do in a crisis.
Create Your Emergency Plan in Just 3 Steps
With your family or household members, discuss how to prepare and respond to the types of emergencies that are most likely to happen where you live, learn, work and play.
Identify responsibilities for each member of your household and how you will work together as a team.
Practice as many elements of your plan as possible.
Document Your Plan with Our Free Templates
Include Common Emergency Scenarios When You Plan
- Right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, such as a fire
- Outside your neighborhood, in case you cannot return home or are asked to evacuate
- How will you need to adapt your plan if they are at home?
- What will you need to do differently if they are away?
Emergency Contact Card
Make cards for the whole family in case you are separated during an emergency.
- A hotel/motel
- The home of friends or relatives a safe distance away
- An evacuation shelter
If your community experiences a disaster, be sure to register on the American Red Cross Safe and Well website to let your family and friends know you are safe.
Or, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompt for "Disaster" to register yourself and your family.
Read more tips for reconnecting with loved ones after a disaster or emergency.