SPARTA, NJ, December 4, 2019 – The American Red Cross, in partnership with local officials, continues to have a shelter open for people affected by power outages in Sussex County caused by Monday’s winter storm. Red Cross workers are providing a warm, safe place to sleep, meals and emotional support for those with immediate, disaster-caused needs.
As of Wednesday, December 4, the following Red Cross managed shelter remains open:
Sussex County Technical School
105 North Church Road
Sparta, NJ 07871
The Red Cross is offering warm meals to those affected by power outages today at 5:30 PM at the following Sussex County locations:
• Sussex County Technical School – McNeice Auditorium, 105 North Church Road, Sparta, NJ 07871
• Sussex Borough Fire Department – 25 Loomis Avenue, Sussex, NJ 07461
• Newton Fire Department – Firehouse 1 – 22 Mill Street, Newton, NJ 07860
Anyone in need of shelter this evening should bring essential items for each member of the family with them:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents
- Extra clothing, pillows, towels, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
- Small pets and service animals are welcome. Your pet may be housed in a different area, away from those with pet allergies.
All emergency assistance is free to those affected by disasters and is made possible through the donation of time by dedicated Red Cross volunteers and the generosity of the American public.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
About the American Red Cross in New Jersey:
The American Red Cross provides programs and services to a population of 8.8 million in New Jersey. The Red Cross trains and mobilizes more than 4,400 volunteers who support the delivery of services throughout the state. In New Jersey last year, the Red Cross responded to more than 820 local disasters, mostly home fires, helping 2,150 displaced families; collected more than 94,500 units of blood through blood drives and Red Cross Blood Donation Centers; provided more than 7,230 military family case services with emergency messages, helping families find assistance and/or get counseling and referrals; and trained 114,570 people with life-saving skills in preparedness, CPR, AED use, first aid and aquatics. For more information, please visit redcross.org/NJ and follow us on Twitter @NJRedCross.org.
# # #