No one is immune to home fires. They can strike you, your loved ones, neighbors and colleagues – any one of us at any time. In fact, every eight minutes, the American Red Cross responds to a devastating home fire or other disaster. Through our Home Fire Campaign, the Red Cross and our partners are aiming to reduce deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25 percent by the end of 2020.
Experts agree that you have 2 minutes to safely escape a home fire. With just moments to act, there are two very important steps everyone can take to make every second count – practice your 2-minute drill, and test your smoke alarms monthly. We hope you will help spread the word by rallying your employees, customers and/or social media followers around these two simple steps. This site offers a variety of ideas and turnkey resources to help you align with preparedness and help save lives in your community. If you have any questions or additional needs, please reach out to your Red Cross relationship manager.
Together with the Red Cross, we are asking every household in America to join us in taking 2 steps that can prevent home fires and save lives.
Step 1: Practice your 2-minute drill. Fire experts agree that you may have as little as 2 minutes to escape a burning home before it’s too late to get out. Use this Home Fire Escape Plan worksheet to plan your evacuation and practice it at least twice a year as a family.
Step 2: Test your smoke alarms monthly. Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a fire in half. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home inside bedrooms and sleeping areas. Check your smoke alarms monthly, and if they’re not working, change the batteries.
1. Join the Social Conversation. Access our turnkey social media toolkit for suggested posts and visuals to engage your fans and followers in the importance of home fire preparedness, using the #firesafety hashtag. Or, work with your social media team to like, share or re-tweet posts about home fire preparedness from Red Cross social networking sites.
2. Engage and Inspire Employees. Challenge your employees to become “social ambassadors” for our Home Fire Campaign and spread the word about fire safety, participate in local home fire installation events or implement an employee fundraising campaign to enable the Home Fire Campaign to reach more people in need.
3. Activate Customers. Demonstrate your support for home fire preparedness by including calls to action in your blog posts, newsletters, or eBlasts. Or, launch a campaign challenging your customers to help reach a mission-focused fundraising goal (i.e. “Let’s help the Red Cross provide fire safety training and install 1,600 smoke alarms.”)
The Red Cross also has sponsorship opportunities available during the months of January and April 2018 for companies to visibly align with our fire safety prevention efforts and receive national benefits and recognition. Contact your relationship manager for details.
Red Cross Home Fire Campaign Resources
- Home Fire Campaign and Our Supporters
- Home Fire Escape Plan
- Home Fire Safety Checklist
- Home Fire Live Read Radio Scripts
- Video: American Red Cross Responds to Home Fires Across the Country
- Video: "A Family Saved, a Connection Made" Red Cross Smoke Alarms Save Lives
- Home Fire Template Promotional Content
- Red Cross Logos & Brand Guidelines
- Red Cross Social Images
- Disasters and Financial Planning: A Guide for Preparedness and Recovery
- Workplace First Aid, CPR and AED Training
- Mobile Preparedness Apps
Red Cross Graphic Resources
Red Cross General Preparedness Resources
- Installed 702,060 smoke alarms.
- Replaced 41,958 smoke alarm batteries.
- Helped make 294,269 homes safer.
- Armed 707,862 youth with preparedness tools and prevention information.
- Saved at least 159 lives.