HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CA (December 20, 2022) – The American Red Cross has opened an emergency shelter at the Fortuna Fireman’s Pavilion located at 9 Park St., Fortuna, CA, 95540, in response to the earthquake that struck Humboldt County early Tuesday. Trained Red Cross volunteers are at the shelter to provide residents with food, water and a warm and safe place to stay while they await the restoration of electricity. Red Cross services are free and available to all. To stay up-to-date on emergency alerts in your area, download the Red Cross Emergency app at redcross.org/app. The app is free and available to both iPhone and Android users. The Red Cross urges everyone to be prepared should a disaster occur in your area. Follow the steps below to keep your family safe:
- Gather your family or household members and delegate responsibilities.
- Assemble an emergency kit to take with you if you evacuate. For a detailed list of items to include visit redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies.html
- Prepare an information kit with important documents like medical, banking and insurance records.
- Save a list of emergency numbers on every cell phone.
- Plan ahead for your pets and livestock. Ask local officials where you can bring them.
About the American Red Cross The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides comfort to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; distributes international humanitarian aid; and supports veterans, military members and their families. The Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to deliver its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or CruzRojaAmericana.org, or follow us on Twitter at @RedCross.