YREKA, CA (June 28, 2021) — The Red Cross has opened an evacuation shelter at Jackson Street Elementary School, 405 Jackson St., Yreka, CA 96097 in response to the Lava Fire in Siskiyou County.
Volunteers are on hand to provide evacuees with food, water and a safe place to sleep. Red Cross services are free and available to all.
For up-to-date information and alerts about emergencies in your area, download the Red Cross emergency app from your app store. It’s free and available to both iPhone and Android users.
The Red Cross urges everyone to be prepared should a wildfire occur in your area. Follow the steps below to keep your family safe.
- Gather your family or household members and delegate responsibilities.
- Assemble an emergency kit to take with you when you evacuate. For a detailed list of items to include visit www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies.html
- Prepare an information kit with important documents like medical, banking and insurance records.
- Save a list of emergency numbers on every cellphone.
- Plan ahead for your pets and livestock. Ask local officials where you can bring them.
- Identify a place to meet in case you are separated.
- Plan and practice several evacuation routes from your neighborhood.
If an evacuation is imminent:
- Tune in to local radio and television stations for updated emergency information.
- Limit exposure to smoke and dust. Keep indoor air clean by closing (but not locking) windows and doors. Close curtains, shutters, and blinds. Use the recycle mode on your air conditioner.
- Turn on exterior lights.
- Remove flammable items from decks and porches.
- Open gates for animals that cannot be evacuated.
- Connect a hose to an outside spigot, mark any water sources on your property, and leave a ladder for firefighters.
- Put your emergency kit in your car. Back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing the direction of escape, with windows closed and keys in the ignition.
- Put your best driver at the wheel. Turn on lights, drive slowly and watch out for emergency vehicles.
Evacuate as soon as the order is given. Don’t delay.
About the American Red Cross California Gold Country Region
The California Gold Country Region of the Red Cross serves a twenty-six county territory including Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tuolumne, Yolo, and Yuba counties. Stay up to date by following us on social media (@ARCGoldCountry).