Georgians Urged to Send Messages of Thanks to U.S. Service Members Now, Through December 7th
ATLANTA, Thursday, November 8, 2018 – This Veterans Day weekend, Georgia’s Red Cross will join the nation in celebrating all the men and women who have selflessly served and continue to serve our country. We’re also reminding the public that some families will be will be missing service members who are deployed or convalescing in veterans’ medical facilities, nursing homes and military hospitals during the upcoming holiday season.
For the next month, the Red Cross Holidays for Heroes program is a way for the public to send words of inspiration, thanks and encouragement to our military heroes. “This marks the twelfth year of the Red Cross Holidays for Heroes program, and its heartfelt purpose never gets old,” says Ebony Bradley, director of the Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces program in Georgia. “We’re inviting all Georgians to give something that truly means something by sharing their appreciation for our military families with words of holiday cheer sent through the Red Cross.”
Since 2006, with the help of the public, the American Red Cross has collected millions of cards for members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families during the holiday season. All holiday cards mailed by the public this year will be screened, sorted and distributed by volunteers to military installations, military and VA medical facilities and veteran organizations in Georgia.
Holiday Mail for Heroes Guidelines
· Holiday cards should be addressed to “Dear Service Member, Veteran, or Military Family,” because those cards can be shared with anyone in the military community.
· Avoid buying or making cards with glitter – glitter can aggravate health issues for the wounded or ill.
· Items like letters, photos or gift cards won’t make it through the screening and sorting process – please don’t send anything but the card itself.
· Please stick to a 2:1 cards per person ratio when submitting your greetings.
All cards must be postmarked no later than Friday, December 7, 2018.
Mail Cards (postage required) to:
Holiday for Heroes
PO Box 13407
Atlanta, GA 30324
· You can also share photos and videos of card-signing efforts or send holiday greetings for troops by using the hashtag #GeorgiaHeroes on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
· Questions? Email: GAholidayforheroes@redcross.org
Want to Give More?
· Ask about our “Java for G.I. Campaign” this holiday season at GAholidayforheroes@redcross.org
· #GiveWithMeaning and honor friends and family with unique gifts that help our troops at www.redcross.org/gifts (Your donation is a tax-deductible contribution to the Red Cross.)
Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces:
The Red Cross helps members of the military, veterans and their families prepare for, cope with, and respond to, the challenges of military service. To Learn more, visit: https://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/military-families.html
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.