HONOLULU, HI- September 13, 2018: All Red Cross-supported County emergency evacuation shelters have been closed and in the coming days, Red Cross volunteers will be conducting damage assessment in the hardest hit areas on Maui and Oahu, which will be followed by casework to provide immediate emergency needs.
TIPS ON RETURNING HOME AFTER A STORM
- After a flood, do not attempt to return to affected areas until officials say it is safe to do so.
- Once you are able to go home, look for loose power lines, damaged gas lines, cracks in the foundation or other damage before you enter your home.
- During cleanup, wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and rubber boots.
- Watch out for wild animals, especially poisonous snakes that may have come into your home with the floodwater.
- If you smell natural or propane gas or hear a hissing noise, leave immediately and call the fire department.
- If power lines are down outside your home, do not step in puddles or standing water.
- Materials such as cleaning products, paint, batteries, contaminated fuel and damaged fuel containers are hazardous. Check with local authorities for assistance with disposal to avoid risk.
- Make sure your food and water are safe. Discard items that have come in contact with floodwater, including canned goods, water bottles, plastic utensils and baby bottle nipples. When in doubt, throw it out.
Download free Red Cross mobile apps. Have safety and first aid information at your fingertips. The hurricane app features weather alerts, information on open Red Cross shelters, a toolkit with a flashlight, strobe light and alarm, and a one-touch “I’m Safe” button that lets you use social media outlets to let family and friends know you are okay. The apps can be downloaded by visiting redcross.org/apps.
The Red Cross is a non-profit humanitarian organization which provides assistance to meet the immediate emergency needs of those affected by disasters. All Red Cross assistance to disaster victims is free. The Red Cross is not a government agency; it depends on public contributions to help others. Your gift supports the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross in your community, across the country and around the world. To send a contribution, mail your check to American Red Cross, 4155 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96816 or make a secure online donation at redcross.org/hawaii or call (808) 739-8109.