Illinois Safe Families AmeriCorps
Safe Families AmeriCorps members will serve to organize community members across Illinois in making their cities, schools, organizations and households more resilient to emergencies. The member’s primary responsibility will be to present free American Red Cross courses on emergency preparedness, disaster-specific safety, and basic first aid and CPR to both youth and adults in Illinois’ most vulnerable and under-served communities. Safe Families members will also work with local disaster clients to deliver Red Cross services to impacted individuals. Members may also be eligible to deploy for up to 2 weeks to a national disaster response should the need arise.
There are currently positions available at offices across the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Romeoville, Rockford, Peoria, Moline, Bloomington, Quincy, and Springfield.
- Full-Time: 1700 hours in 11 months (38 to 40 hours per week). Start dates available in July and August. Apply now at https://bit.ly/2VnSm7m.
Illinois Disaster Corps
Disaster Corps members will support impacted communities with spontaneous volunteer management and donation coordination in the event of a local or state disaster. Members will work hand-in-hand with local and state government entities, non-profit organizations, and other community organizations to provide timely and meaningful service opportunities to those seeking to assist their own communities after a disaster strikes. Though these positions will be based out the Chicago American Red Cross office, members will have the opportunity to train for and respond to disasters across the state of Illinois. Members will also be involved in local or statewide disaster response activities, community preparedness education, and may be deployed for up to two weeks at a time in the case of a disaster.
There are currently six positions available for the 2019-2020 service year. These opportunities will be served as a full-time (1700 hours) over an 11-month period of 38-40 hours per week. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through mid August with start dates in July and August. Please apply at https://bit.ly/2VnSm7m.
- Living stipend paid bi-weekly ($15,500 annual total)
- Educational award at completion of service of $6,095 to be applied towards future educational expenses of qualifying federal loan balances. Those age 55 or older can transfer this award to a qualifying relative such as a child or grandchild.
- Invaluable experience from a nationally and internationally respected organization for school, a future job or new career
- Extensive training
- Individual Health Insurance for full-time AmeriCorps members not covered under a current plan
- Subsidized childcare for full-time members who meet income guidelines
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- Successfully serve in the position, meeting both the required hours per week and the corresponding minimum requirement for a full, reduced full or half-time.
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Must be 18 years of age at the start of date of service and must have completed a high school diploma or GED, college degree or comparable professional experience is highly preferred.
- Have a valid Driver's License & clean driving record.
- Pass required criminal background checks.
- Members should also be comfortable working with a wide variety of people from all walks of life and backgrounds and respect the American Red Cross fundamental principles.
PLEASE NOTE: AmeriCorps team position offers are contingent upon AmeriCorps funding notification.