Eight Red Cross shelters are now open across the state of Missouri and adjoining Illinois counties* sheltering people in response to flooding and tornado damage. Efforts are ongoing in coordination with local officials to evaluate and determine needs of local residents with ongoing flooding
In addition, in Calhoun County, Illinois, where flooding is occurring, the Red Cross has continued distributing meals in the area to the communities of Brussels, Kampville, Hardin, Hamburg, and Michael.
Eastern Missouri shelters in Greater St. Louis area open in response to flooding
- Jerseyville, Elementary School, 201 North Giddings Ave., Jerseyville, IL (Greater St. Louis MO Chapter). The local Humane Society will assist individuals bringing pets with shelter for the animals.
- Valmeyer Community School, 300 S. Cedar Bluff, Valmeyer, IL - Greater St. Louis MO Chapter) Opened 6/5. The local Humane Society will assist individuals bringing pets with shelter for the animals at the local fairgrounds.
- Kennedy Recreation Complex, 6050 Wells Rd, St. Louis, MO - (Greater St. Louis MO Chapter) If individuals need sheltering for pets, they are asked to call 314-615-9500. Opened 6/3.
- Saint John United Church of Christ, 405 S. 5th St, St Charles, MO (Greater St. Louis MO Chapter) Opened 6/2. (Entrance to shelter is located at 517 Jackson St. Pets will be accommodated through the local animal shelter assisting with housing animals of those staying at the shelter).
- Winfield High School at 3920 State Hwy 47, Winfield, MO (Greater St. Louis MO chapter) Opened 5/29. Pet Trailer available--residents are asked to bring pet food for pets and will need to care for their pets while there.
Northwest Missouri shelters in response to flooding
Shelter has closed effective June 10:
- Buckner United Methodist Church, 109 S. Hudson St., Buckner, MO (Greater Kansas City and Northwest MO chapter) Opened 6/1.
Central Missouri shelters in response to flooding and tornadoes
- Open Bible Praise Center, 16991 Hwy 87 Boonville, MO (Central and Northwest MO chapter) Opened 5/31.
Two Red Cross shelters remain open in central Missouri in response to the severe storms and tornadoes that hit Jefferson City May 22. These shelters are also available to support those affected by flooding.
- Thomas Jefferson Middle School, 1201 Fairgrounds Road, Jefferson City, MO (includes pet shelter) (Central and Northern Missouri Chapter) (Opened 5/22)
- Russellville Baptist Church, 5209 Simpson, Russellville, MO 65074 (Central and Northern Missouri Chapter)
Shelter has closed effective June 10:
- Eldon Community Center, 309 E. 2nd St., Eldon, MO ((Central and Northern Missouri Chapter) (Opened 5/22)
Items to bring include clothing for a few days, bedding, toiletries, essential medication, and items for your children. Anyone who needs to find a shelter may visit redcross.org/shelter, download the free Red Cross Emergency App or call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). The Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
Damage assessments underway across the state
The Red Cross is conducting damage assessments of homes and apartments affected by tornado damage to determine assistance and work with other organizations who can provide additional help.
The teams will be travelling throughout the flooded-damaged areas as soon as water recedes, and the areas become accessible. Teams look at the exterior of residential structures, so access to the interior of homes is not needed.
A donation drop-off site has been designated in Jefferson City for those affected by the May 22 tornado damage:
- Capital West Christian Event Center (Multi-Agency Warehouse), 1315 Fairgrounds Road, Jefferson City, MO. Receiving hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. seven days a week. Items being accepted are new items needed for individuals who are recovering and moving into a new home. This is being overseen by the Adventist Disaster Response. Please note, that many of the local organizations have received significant amounts of donations of used items including clothing items already.