The consolidated shelter location in Russellville, Missouri established for individuals affected by the Jefferson City and Eldon tornadoes has closed. Five Red Cross shelters remain open across the state of Missouri in response to flooding.
The Red Cross is continuing to distribute meals in Calhoun County, IL in Kampville. Damage assessments are also underway by the Red Cross to determine ongoing needs of residents affected by flooding and tornadoes.
Since the spring flooding and tornado responses began, the Red Cross provided the following in the state of Missouri and adjoining Illinois counties:
- More than 1,500 shelter stays
- Over 24,000 meals and snacks
- Nearly 600 disaster workers including volunteers and staff
- More than 4,000 disaster supplies distributed
Shelters remaining open due to flooding are as follows:
Southeast Missouri shelter:
- Zion United Methodist Church at 3652 State Highway Z, Cape Girardeau, MO (in the Southeast Missouri Red Cross chapter).
Eastern Missouri shelters:
- Kennedy Recreation Complex, 6050 Wells Rd, St. Louis, MO (Greater St. Louis MO Chapter) If individuals need sheltering for pets, they are asked to call 314-615-9500. Opened 6/3.
- Saint John United Church of Christ, 405 S. 5th St, St Charles, MO (Greater St. Louis MO Chapter) Opened 6/2. (Entrance to shelter is located at 517 Jackson St. Pets will be accommodated through the local animal shelter assisting with housing animals of those staying at the shelter).
- Winfield High School at 3920 State Hwy 47, Winfield, MO (Greater St. Louis MO chapter) Opened 5/29. Pet Trailer available--residents are asked to bring pet food for pets and will need to care for their pets while there.
Central Missouri shelter:
- Open Bible Praise Center, 16991 Hwy 87 Boonville, MO (Central and Northwest MO chapter) Opened 5/31.
Items to bring to a shelter include clothing for a few days, bedding, toiletries, essential medication, and items for your children. Anyone who needs to find a shelter may visit redcross.org/shelter, download the free Red Cross Emergency App or call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). The Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.