The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York will present nine awards for heroism at the annual Real Heroes Breakfast this month. The 2019 Real Heroes, to be recognized on Tuesday, October 29, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Troy, are:
- Rob Coughlin of Saratoga Springs – receiving the Philly Dake Award for significant contributions and dedication to the community, which exemplify Red Cross values and help to further the organization’s mission
- Josh Grassi of Clifton Park – receiving the Animal Rescue Award for working tirelessly to help pet owners locate their missing animals
- Stefanie and Josh Bitter of Clifton Park – receiving the Blood Donor Award for inspiring hundreds of people to donate the lifesaving gift of blood
- Tom Christie, John Courter, and Tim Reilly of the Stanford Heights Fire District (Colonie/Niskayuna) and Jeff Guzy of the Colonie Police Department – receiving the First Responder Award for providing immediate lifesaving medical attention to a teen hit by a car
- Jean D’Angelo, Liz Filippone, Grace Furdon-Reinhardt and Lily Habich - receiving the Good Samaritan Award for using lifesaving skills to save a man in cardiac arrest
- New York State Troopers Christopher Czachor and James Oliveto – receiving the Law Enforcement Award for providing First Aid on a police dispatch to help save a life
- Alex Stevens of Guilderland – receiving the Medical Award for quickly responding and commanding a chaotic scene to stabilize a motorcycle accident victim
- Pat Piccirilli of Latham – receiving the Military Award for his dedication to and support of the American Red Cross Eastern New York Region’s Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) outreach team
- Meka Boncie-Machin of Glenville – receiving the Youth Good Samaritan Award for jumping in to aid in the rescue of two people who were drowning
"In finding the courage to act in the face of emergencies, and responding to critical needs in our community, these individuals truly embody the mission of the American Red Cross," said Gary Striar, Regional CEO for the American Red Cross. "We look forward to sharing their inspiring stories and celebrating them at the 2019 Real Heroes Breakfast."
The Real Heroes Breakfast, presented by Tri City Rentals, will begin at 8:00 A.M. on Tuesday, October 29 at the Hilton Garden Inn, 235 Hoosick Street, Troy, NY. Join host John Gray of News10 ABC, along with event chairs Kate Otis and Laura Petrovic, to help the Red Cross celebrate this year's Real Heroes. Visit redcross.org/NENYheroes or call (518) 694-5108 to reserve tickets before October 21.