In a year when disasters upended the lives of thousands of people, the Palmetto SC Region of the American Red Cross is asking everyone to Give Something that Means Something for families in need through its 2019 Holiday Giving Campaign.
This year, Benefitfocus has stepped up as a generous partner to match gifts given on Giving Tuesday, up to $25,000. That means that every donation could have double the impact.
“During the holidays many people are looking for ways to give back,” said Louise Welch Williams, the Regional CEO of the Palmetto Region of the American Red Cross. “We are so thankful for our partnership with Benefitfocus and that they are willing to help meet the needs of those most vulnerable in our community. Now, if you choose to donate to the Red Cross on Giving Tuesday, that donation will go even farther.”
Benefitfocus, a Charleston based company, unifies the entire U.S. benefits industry on a single technology platform to protect consumers' health, wealth, property and lifestyle. Benefitfocus’ sole mission is to improve the lives of Americans by simplifying the way benefits are bought, sold and used so people have the protection they need, exactly when they need it.
“Our values have always included a commitment to giving back to the community and we’ve always focused on strengthening the communities in which we live and work,” said Ray August, President and CEO of Benefitfocus. “We hope our support of the Palmetto Region of the Red Cross during its Holiday Giving Campaign, with the help of the donations from members of the community, will have a significant impact at such a meaningful time of the year.”
GIVING TUESDAY On December 3rd, please #GiveWithMeaning at redcross.org/sc to support people in need. Make sure you select ‘Your Local Red Cross’ in the dropdown menu.
· Help disaster victims. Your gift of $250 can deliver hot meals for 25 people who need nourishment after a disaster. A donation of $100 can provide a family of two with a full day’s worth of emergency shelter with meals, snacks, blankets, a cot and hygiene supplies. Help provide warmth with a gift of $50, which can provide blankets for 10 people.
· Help our veterans. A donation of $125 can help veterans transition back to civilian life by connecting them and their families to critical services such as food, housing, counseling and rehabilitation.
· Help internationally. Your gift of $100 can help provide lifesaving vaccinations for 100 children who face an increased risk of measles and rubella around the world.
· Give the gift of life. Visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment to donate blood or platelets.
· Volunteer to help others. To learn more about becoming a Red Cross volunteer, visit redcross.org.
GIVING HOPE EVERY DAY Every 8 minutes, someone affected by disaster is helped by donations to the Red Cross. The generosity of Red Cross donors helps provide people with necessities like shelter, food, relief supplies, emotional support, recovery planning and other assistance.
The need is constant—and this year was no different. In the Palmetto SC Region, the Red Cross responds to an average of six home fires every day. That’s as often as one every four hours. Last year, volunteers helped nearly 7,000 people after local disaster in the state.
In addition to helping families recover from these events, the Red Cross also helps save lives by installing free smoke alarms and helping residents create escape plans through its Home Fire Campaign, which has saved 65 lives in South Carolina since it began in 2014.
Because of generous support, in 2019, the Red Cross in South Carolina also:
- Provided nearly 14,200 case services to military members, veterans and families.
- Collected 80,00 units of lifesaving blood.
- Enrolled more than 33,000 people in lifesaving courses like first aid, CPR and AED
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation’s blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization – not a government agency – and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org/SC or @RedCrossSC.
Benefitfocus (NASDAQ: BNFT) unifies the entire U.S. benefits industry on a single technology platform to protect consumers' health, wealth, property and lifestyle. Our powerful cloud-based software, data-driven insights and thoughtfully designed services, enable employers, insurance brokers, carriers and suppliers to simplify the complexity of benefits administration and deliver a world-class benefits experience. Learn more at www.benefitfocus.com, LinkedIn and Twitter.