How to help:
While the Red Cross appreciates the good intentions of those wanting to donate goods, supplies or other materials, the best way to support is to make a financial donation. This allows the Red Cross to be flexible in using the funds to directly address the needs of those affected. Call, click, or text to give: visit redcross.org, call 1-800 RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation donate online at www.redcross.org.
To volunteer to assist with this disaster or future disaster, please go to redcross.org.
Flood Safety Information:
As residents begin returning home, please remember the following:
Stay away from floodwaters. Beware of snakes, insects and other animals that may be in or around floodwaters and your home.
- Keep children and your pets away from hazardous sites and floodwater.
- If power lines are down, do not step in puddles or standing water.
Wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and rubber boots, and be cautious when cleaning up.
- Throw out items that absorb water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected. This includes mattresses, carpeting, cosmetics, stuffed animals and baby toys.
- Throw out all food, beverages and medicine exposed to flood waters and mud. When in doubt, throw it out.
Check the outside of your home before you enter. Look for loose power lines, broken or damaged gas lines, foundation cracks, missing support beams or other damage.
- If the door is jammed, don’t force it open – it may be providing support to the rest of your home. Find another way to get inside.
- Sniff for gas. If you detect natural or propane gas, or hear a hissing noise, leave the property immediately and get far away from it. Call the fire department after you reach safety.
- If the weather is dry, open windows and doors to ventilate and/or dry your home.
- If power is out, use a flashlight. Do not use any open flame, including candles, to inspect for damage or serve as alternate lighting.
For the latest information on Red Cross relief efforts in Arkansas, please follow @ArkRedCross on Facebook or Twitter.