LITTLE ROCK — In response to the historic flooding forecasted to impact communities along the Arkansas River, the following shelter locations are open:
Red Cross operated shelters:
- Evangel Temple, 1110 South 12 Street, Fort Smith, AR
- Dardanelle Community Center, 2011 State Highway 22, Dardanelle, AR (temporary pet shelter available at Yell County Fairgrounds)
- Don Owens Center, 10 Lower Ridge Road, Conway, AR (location includes a temporary pet shelter provided by the Faulkner County Animal Response Team)
- North Little Rock Community Center, 2700 Willow Street, North Little Rock, AR
Other shelter locations:
- Family Life Church, 2309 S. Poplar Street, Pine Bluff, AR
Eighty-one people stayed in Red Cross operated shelters overnight – 64 in Fort Smith, AR; 13 in Conway, AR, and four in Dardanelle, AR.
Individuals and families are encouraged to bring the following items with them:
- clothing for a few days
- essential medication
- a child’s stuffed animal, blanket or other items for your children
For the latest information on Red Cross relief efforts in Arkansas, please visit our Flood Response page, or follow @ArkRedCross on Facebook or Twitter.
How to help:
During and after disasters, cash donations best enable the Red Cross to help people recover from disasters big and small. Call, click, or text to give: visit redcross.org, call 1-800 RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation donate online at www.redcross.org. Individuals can also sign up to become a volunteer.
Emergency App w/Shelter info:
Anyone who needs to find a shelter may visit redcross.org/shelter, download the free Red Cross Emergency App or call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). The Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
Designate Safe and Well:
The American Red Cross encourages those in areas affected by severe storms to list themselves as “safe and well” online at https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/. Family and friends may then search for the name of anyone they are trying to locate on this site.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.