The community really spread the love on Giving Hearts Day! More than $19 million was raised for non-profits in North Dakota and Northwestern Minnesota on February 13, 2020.
A special thank you to those who donated to support the American Red Cross. Hundreds of generous donors helped us surpass our Giving Hearts Day goal and raise over $40,500 during the 24-hour giving period. These funds enable the Red Cross to help our neighbors affected by disaster; continue to install free smoke alarms through our lifesaving Home Fire Campaign; provide emergency communications for our military members and their families; collect lifesaving blood for distribution at local hospitals; and teach lifesaving skills such as CPR and first aid to better prepare our communities.
We'd also like to thank our matching partners, Wanzek Construction, Dawson Insurance Agency and Vaaler Insurance, for helping your donation go further on February 13.
Red Cross Impact in FY19
The American Red Cross responded to more than 400 local disasters, helping nearly 2,200 people across the Dakotas Region in FY19. We also made nearly 1,200 homes safer by installing more than 3,500 free smoke alarms for our neighbors.
Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood and the Red Cross supplies about 40% of the nation’s blood. The Dakotas Region hosts blood drives in Minnesota, eastern North Dakota and South Dakota. Blood donations are essential for surgeries, cancer treatment, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries. One donation can potentially save up to 3 lives.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that:
- All people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
- Our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
- All members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed;
- Hospitals are stocked with lifesaving blood products for patients in need;
- And in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
Help us continue critical disaster relief, preparedness and health and safety services with a gift big or small.
· A $15 donation provides 1 smoke alarm installation
· A $20 donation provides 1 of each: blanket, meal, snack and comfort kit
· A $50 donation provides a full day of food and shelter for 1 person
· A $100 donation covers the cost of Red Cross cleanup kits for 5 families
· A $200 donation provides a full day of food and shelter for a family of 4
· A $300 donation covers the daily cost to deploy an Emergency Response Vehicle
What is a Giving Heart? Anyone who helps: volunteers, donors, clients, friends and people who spread our message. If you are in support of helping others, you are a Giving Heart. On social media, use #CountMe to show your support of the American Red Cross and help us have the most successful Giving Hearts Day ever!