The American Red Cross has opened an emergency shelter in Whitesboro, New York (Oneida County) in response to local flooding. Red Cross workers are set up at Whitestown Community Center to provide warm meals, a safe place to sleep and emotional support for those with immediate, disaster-caused needs. Whitestown Community Center is located at 1 Championship Way, Whitesboro, NY 13492.
Individuals evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents
- Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
All residents in flood-prone areas are encouraged to take steps to ensure their safety. For flood-related preparedness tips, follow this link or click the image below.