DALLAS–FORT WORTH — The American Red Cross continues to support thousands of families recovering in the aftermath of Hurricane Laura. Red Cross in collaboration with our community partners have continued to provide emergency lodging, meals and snacks, comfort and care items to those affected by Hurricane Laura.
Below are a few highlights of the tremendous efforts of the Red Cross to support these families throughout the state:
- Over the weekend, nearly 7,400 people sought shelter through the Red Cross and community partners.
- Over 820 Red Cross virtual and in-person volunteers are assigned to the Hurricane Laura relief efforts.
- To date, the Red Cross in Texas has served more than 48,000 meals and snacks with partners in response to Hurricane Laura.
- Licensed professionals have supported those in need by providing more that 5,800 disaster health, mental health, spiritual care and disability consultations.
- The Red Cross in Texas has provided more than 25,820 emergency supplies such as comfort kits and cleanup supplies.
Now, as Tropical Storm Sally takes aim for the Gulf Coast, thousands of families that were already impacted in Louisiana may receive another blow. The Red Cross has staged and moved people and resources ahead of TS Sally so that our teams can respond as soon as possible to provide relief to those impacted.
People in the storm's path should stay informed and take steps to get prepared now. Follow local media for the latest information and updates and obey any evacuation orders from loacl officials. The Red Cross urges everyone to:
- Build an Emergency Kit
- Develop an Emergency Plan
- Stay Informed
People can also download the free Red Cross Emergency App for real-time information about the storm, shelter, locations and hurricane safety tips in the palm of your hand. The Emergency App is available in app stores by searching 'American Red Cross' or visiting redcross.org/apps. information is also available at redcross.org/prepare.
Those needing to evacuate or seek shelter with fur babies can find resources at RedRover.org for a list of pet-friendly hotels and motels.