SATURDAY, MARCH 3, 2018 5PM — The impacts of Friday’s Nor’easter continue to be felt across Eastern Pennsylvania. Hundreds of thousands are still without power. In response, the American Red Cross has opened several warming centers across the region.
Delaware County: Warming centers open at Booker T. Washington Recreation Center, 611 Central St., Chester; and Clifton Heights Firehouse, 20 W. Baltimore Pike, Clifton Heights.
Montgomery County: Shelter open at Keith Valley Middle School, 227 Meetinghouse Rd., Horsham.
Monroe County: Shelter open at Stroudsburg High School, 1100 W. Main St., Stroudsburg.
Pike County: Shelter open at Milford Fire Department, 107 West Catherine St., Milford.
Many other communities have also announced the opening of warming centers and charging stations for those without power. For warming center locations near you, contact your county emergency management agency.
Power outages are expected to last for several days in some places. The Red Cross has these important safety tips to keep you and your family safe in the aftermath of the Nor’easter.
- Use flash lights in the dark, not candles.
- Eliminate unnecessary travel, especially by car. Traffic lights will be out and roads will be congested.
- If you are using a generator be sure you understand the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to use generators safely. Never use a generator indoors or in a garage. It must be kept outside in a well-ventilated area.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. If it looks like the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items.
- Keep food in a dry, cool spot and keep it covered at all times.
- Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including sensitive electronics.
- Turn off or disconnect any appliances (like stoves), equipment or electronics you were using when the power went out. When power comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment.
- Leave one light turned on so you’ll know when the power comes back on.
- If using a space heater, place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable surface in the home.
- Keep all potential sources of fuel like paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, or fireplace.
- Portable heaters and fireplaces should never be left unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure any embers in the fireplace are extinguished before leaving home.
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
DOWNLOAD RED CROSS APPS
People can download the Red Cross Emergency App for instant access to weather alerts for their area and where loved ones live. The Emergency app can also be used to locate an official Red Cross shelter near you. Expert medical guidance and a hospital locator are included in the First Aid App in case you encounter any mishaps. Both apps are available to download for free in app stores or at redcross.org/apps.