The Grand Place community is a professionally managed manufactured home neighborhood nestled in Grand Prairie, Texas. On Saturday, January 14, the American Red Cross North Texas held a Sound the Alarm event to help ensure that everyone that needed a smoke detector had one installed. Red Cross volunteers and RHP Properties, the managers of the community, set out with the goal of connecting with all 358 homes.
Red Crossers went door to door, equipped with fire alarms, tools, useful fire safety tips, disaster safety checklists and materials to create evacuation plans. Alternate alarms such as bed shakers were also available for residents with hearing impairments upon request.
“Sound the Alarm” is a nationwide Red Cross campaign providing community members with free battery-operated fire alarms and installations, fire safety tips and education.
Homeowners who did not receive a free alarm install did have the opportunity to test their fire alarms and were educated on how often tests should be conducted.
As part of the fire safety education, community members received dry-erase boards and markers to create emergency evacuation plans for their families with the assistance of Red Cross volunteers. Children also received practice drill education.
Steve Abbott, a Red Cross senior disaster program manager, provided instruction on proper smoke alarm installation and routine checks to those individuals installing the alarms.
“The Red Cross responds to approximately four to five fire emergencies every day across the Metroplex and assists residents after fire-related emergencies,” Abbott said.
Tauna Conk, a disaster program manager with the Red Cross North Texas team said her mission was to “make sure everyone has up to date, functioning alarms to prevent fire-related fatalities.”
Residents in the community appreciated the assistance. Community member Liz Ortiz was happy to have volunteers check the alarms in her home. She said she was “happy and satisfied.”
"Fire safety is very important for my kids and their lives,” said Grand Place resident and mother Angelica Ferretiz.
Residents also had QR codes with links to download the Red Cross app, which provides up-to-date information on emergencies.
Important fire safety tips shared include:
The “Sound the Alarm, Save a Life" event was a success in Grand Place. It provided community members with new smoke alarms and also gave them a new perspective on fire safety as they spring into the new year!