Emergency assistance for military members and their families
Call our 24-hour Hero Care Center at 1-877-272-7337 to connect with one of our Service to the Armed Forces caseworkers. The American Red Cross can help with emergency communications, emergency financial assistance, and information or referrals to other organizations that support military families.
Emergency Communications (Red Cross Messages)
The Red Cross assists in communicating emergency family matters, such as serious illness, death in the family or birth of a child. After verifying the emergency, we will send a verified message to the military authorities who will then deliver the information to the armed forces member. This information is used to verify circumstances for emergency leave requests.
For us to help you, please have the following information ready when you call for assistance:
· Name of the service member
· Service member’s social security number
· The branch of the military he or she serves
· The duty station, duty phone or location of where the service member is currently serving
· Contact information of independent person for verification of emergency (e.g. doctor, nurse, funeral home, etc.)
The Red Cross provides emergency communication 24 hours a day, seven days a week for service members and DOD contractors and their families deployed with the military.
Emergency Financial Assistance
Based on individual circumstances, a military aid society (Air Force Aid Society, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, Coast Guard Mutual Assistance and Army Emergency Relief) will provide help with emergency expenses such as funeral and burial services and other expenses. The Red Cross helps military members and retired veterans process the paperwork to apply for this assistance. The individual military aid society determines who receives assistance. Call the Hero Care Center at 877-272-7337 to speak with a Red Cross emergency financial specialist. You can also request assistance on line through the Hero Care Network.
The Service to the Armed Forces program provides a variety of service to our military and veteran community. To contact the local Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces office, call (858) 309-1487 or (858) 309-1200
· Education (Outreach & Briefings): The Red Cross attends pre-deployment briefings and other military unit family gatherings to answer questions and deliver information about Red Cross services available to military families
· Information and Referrals: Local Red Cross caseworkers are available to help military and veteran families find the assistance they need
· Emergency Services: In addition to emergency messages, the Red Cross provides free preparedness trainings and seminars, and can help with welfare inquires during disasters
· Service to Military & Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Facilities: Red Cross volunteers serve in military treatment facilities and support the VA Voluntary Services program at the VA Hospital
· Building Family Resiliency: The Red Cross offers free resiliency-based workshops for parents and children of military and veteran families. The interactive workshops are scheduled on request and are facilitated by licensed Red Cross volunteers
· Engage Volunteers: Looking to build your resume with valuable experience or to give back to those who serve? The Service to the Armed Forces division has many opportunities and volunteers are an essential part of services provided. For more information or to apply, please visit redcross.org/volunteer