Holiday for Heroes is an annual campaign by which the American Red Cross provides the community with the opportunity to donate items for care packages and send messages of thanks to military members and local area veterans that are in hospitals or nursing homes for the holidays. These items and messages are placed inside a holiday stocking hand-sewn by volunteers. The American Red Cross South Florida Region, together with lead partner Arthrex, Inc. and other sponsors, assembles and delivers these stuffed holiday stockings for military members and local area veterans who are away from their families during the holidays.
You can participate by purchasing some of the following items online from the Holiday for Heroes registry:
- Flavored drink mix for water bottles (individual packets)
- Hot cocoa mix (individual packets)
- Power bars, granola bars, breakfast bars
- Gum, mints, hard candy (no chocolate)
- Individually packaged/travel size snacks (nuts, trail mix, beef jerky, Slim Jim, cookies)
- Non-perishable meat (individual packets of tuna, chicken, salmon; not canned)
- Lip balm
- Small packs of wet wipes
- Individual tissue packets
- Travel size hygiene items (body wash, lotion, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste)
- Small puzzle books, playing cards, yo-yos, hacky sacks
- Cards and letters of appreciation (Please do not write your last name, address, or personal contact info. Please use wording that will encompass the holiday spirit without reference to religion as these will go to a diverse group of service members and veterans.)
Click here to view Red Cross card and letter writing guidelines.
Click here to purchase items from the Holiday for Heroes online registry including direct shipping to the Red Cross. During the checkout process, please select the auto-populated American Red Cross option as your shipping address.
DEADLINE TO PURCHASE ITEMS IS October 30, 2020
*In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, there will be minimal drop-off locations for donation items. Please use the registry link to purchase items online which will be shipped directly to the Red Cross distribution team.