Stephen Walter, the business relationship manager at Wells Fargo in Helena, is the new chairman of the Montana Red Cross board of directors.
Born in Lafayette, Ind., Walter spent several years in the banking industry in Indiana before moving to Montana in 2016. As a Wells Fargo business relationship manager, Walter works with those that do business here in Montana and across the country to make sure they have tools, information and services they need to succeed.
Walter joined the Montana Red Cross board in 2017 and is also active with the United Way in Helena.
“I’m excited to be able to give back to my community and help those in need,” he said. “I’ve served with the Red Cross for roughly two years and realize how much my community work and influences have helped better the lives of others.”
Walter graduated from Purdue University in 2010 with a background in organizational leadership, entrepreneurship and homeland security and got his Master of Business Administration degree from Indiana Wesleyan University in 2015.
He takes the reins from previous Red Cross board chairman Tom Wozniak, a financial advisor at Wells Fargo Advisors in Missoula. Wozniak remains on the Red Cross board and was recently presented an award for his service.
“Our organization is very fortunate to have Stephen serving in this leadership position,” said Diane Wright, Montana Red Cross executive director. “He embodies the Red Cross spirit of ‘sleeves up, hearts open, all in.’ He's a hands-on leader who is driven by his compassion for others, whether it's awarding a national lifesaving award to a 6-year-old in Sheridan, installing smoke alarms in Helena, or developing strategies to increase our presence and service across the state.”
Also serving on the Montana Red Cross board of directors are:
· Mike Augustine, senior vice president, Portfolio Manager, D.A. Davidson & Company, Bozeman
· Jennifer Breitbach, program manager, Resodyn Corporation, Butte
· Brian Connors, investment specialist, First Interstate Bank Wealth Management, Great Falls
· Dr. Bridget Freeman, traveling physician
· Matt Klixbull, mechanical engineer, Calumet Refinery, Great Falls
· Todd Neighbor, assistant vice president, Community Banking, U.S. Bank, Great Falls
· Diane Seitz-Nelson, Lt. Colonel (retired), Montana Air National Guard, Great Falls
· Jamey Peterson, executive director, Caring Foundation of Montana, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana, Helena
· Craig Stahlberg, vice president of finance, PayneWest Insurance, Missoula
· Major (Dr.) Andrew Timboe, chief of Aerospace Medicine, 341st Medical Group, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Great Falls
· Tom Wozniak, financial advisor, Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC, Missoula
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches lifesaving skills such as CPR and first aid; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families.
For more information, visit montanaredcross.org or facebook.com/redcrossmontana.