MINEOLA, N.Y., July 27, 2018-- The American Red Cross honored their outstanding Long Island volunteers this Wednesday at an award ceremony and reception held at Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury, NY. More than 125 people attended the event to recognize individuals from across Nassau and Suffolk Counties who went above and beyond the call of duty to help their neighbors in need this past year.
“Whether you serve in Disaster Services or Service to the Armed Forces or International Services or in a support role, the work you do to deliver the mission of the Red Cross is critical to the communities we serve,” said Long Island CEO Neela Lockel as she kicked off the event.
The organization would not be able to carry out its humanitarian mission without volunteers (approximately 1000 on Long Island), who make up more than 90 percent of the Red Cross workforce. Every year the Red Cross responds to 200 local disasters in Long island, offering emergency relief like shelter, food and clothing to those affected. When needed, Long Island volunteers deploy outside their region to help following large-scale disasters like hurricanes, mass shootings and wildfires. This event celebrates their extraordinary achievements.
The evening culminated with the presentation of the Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Davidson Memorial Award and the Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership. Named after the founders of the first Long Island Chapter, the Mr. & The Mr. & Mrs. Henry P. Davidson Memorial Award recognizes a volunteer who most exhibits commitment, motivation and all-around performance in Red Cross activities. The Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership is named after the American Red Cross founder and recognizes a volunteer for their service in a number of leadership positions and personal expertise that enables the Red Cross to contribute valuable services to the community.
- Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership – Bruce Gronich
- Mr. & Mrs. Henry P. Davidson Memorial Award – Joann Kinneary
- Leadership Award – Bruce Gould
- Emerging Leader Award – Paul Nulty
- Community Preparedness Award – Celia Vollmer
- Service to the Armed Forces Award – Margaret Sukhram
- Disaster Services Award – Dennis Patrikios
- Disaster Mental Health Leadership Award – PJ Tedeschi
- Home Fire Campaign Award – Peter Rosenthal
- Outstanding Red Cross Campus Club Award – Patchogue-Medford High School
- Corporate Community Partner Award – National Grid
- Good Neighbor Award- Long Island Center for Independent Living
- Good Neighbor Award – 106th Air National Guard Rescue Wing