REDDING, CA (March 10, 2023) — The Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay in Redding will once again be lit up red in celebration of Red Cross Month from Thursday, March 23 through Sunday, March 26, 2023. Volunteers from the Northern California Chapter of the American Red Cross, along with Executive Director Caedy Minoletti, will be on hand Friday, March 24 from noon to 7 p.m. to celebrate all our volunteers do in the Redding area and throughout the California Gold Country Region, and encourage residents to sign up to volunteer to help their community in times of need.
The Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay, 844 Sundial Bridge Drive, Redding, CA, 96001-0976, is a world-famous pedestrian bridge and public art installation that crosses the Sacramento River. The public is invited to experience this unique event, strolling the bridge’s glass panel walkway as it is lit up in red in celebration of Red Cross volunteers. This will be a wonderful opportunity to capture photographs and video of this unique North State event.
ABOUT RED CROSS MONTH
In 1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared March as Red Cross Month when “our people rededicate themselves to the splendid aims and activities of the Red Cross.”
For the past 80 years, the American Red Cross has spent the month of March honoring volunteers who make the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross possible – individuals across the country who turn compassion into action, helping others in times of crisis. These supporters are people trained in lifesaving skills, blood donors, volunteers and those who support us with financial contributions – all who step up when help can’t wait.
During Red Cross Month you can make a difference by supporting our mission in a variety of ways:
THE RED CROSS…
- Manages 40% of the nation’s blood supply and regularly hosts blood drives throughout the region. (Right now, the Red Cross is experiencing the worst blood shortage in over a decade. The dangerously low blood supply levels have forced some hospitals to defer patients from major surgery, including organ transplants. Your donation is desperately needed!)
- Helps members of the U.S. military, veterans and their families prepare for, cope with and respond to the challenges of military life
- Is part of the world’s largest humanitarian network, working with Red Cross and Red Crescent teams to provide relief and hope when disasters and crises take hold around the world
- Provides immediate help day or night to those who experience a home fire
- Teaches disaster preparedness and lifesaving skills such as first aid, and CPR/AED training
- Installs free smoke alarms in underserved communities via our Sound the Alarm initiative
- Provides shelter, food, health and mental health services during natural disasters such as the California wildfires
- Supports and trains a massive workforce that is 90% volunteers
For more information, please visit redcross.org/goldcountry or CruzRojaAmericana.org.