The American Red Cross Los Angeles Region is closely monitoring the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and preparing to carry out our lifesaving mission in the event of any possible disruptions. The Red Cross also strongly urges healthy, eligible individuals to give blood or platelets to help maintain a sufficient, blood supply and prevent shortages.
The American Red Cross does not provide COVID-19 tests. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please contact your doctor or healthcare professional.
We are taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of our volunteers and employees, including the postponement of all large events and volunteer meetings, transitioning to a remote work plan for most staff and volunteers, and ensuring safety protocols are in place at blood drives and all work sites to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
In addition to following guidance from local authorities and working to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are asking healthy members of the community to help us meet two urgent needs and support the continuing work of the Red Cross here in Los Angeles County:
1. Give blood. Healthy individuals are needed now to donate to help patients including victims of car accidents and other emergencies, or patients suffering from cancer requiring lifesaving blood.
Learn more about donation safety protocols >
Find a blood drive near you >
Information for Fully Recovered Coronavirus Patients
2. Volunteer to help distribute free meals. Hundreds of volunteers are needed every weekday morning starting March 18 to help the Red Cross, LA County Office of Emergency Management and the Los Angeles Unified School District serve prepared meals to families and students affected by school closures.
Read about safety protocols for meal distribution volunteers »
View map of food distribution centers »
Register and/or sign up for a shift »
Apply for leadership volunteer positions to support relief operations and blood collection »
The Red Cross is also working to ensure we can continue to carry out other aspects of our lifesaving mission. We are working with public health officials to put plans in place to keep local communities and our workforce safe while still providing emergency shelter and comfort after disasters of all sizes.
Effective immediately, all Red Cross LA events and large volunteer meetings will be postponed until further notice. This includes the March Sound the Alarm events, the Disaster Cycle Services training, the Celebrity Golf Tournament.
As the situation continues to evolve, the Red Cross has taken many measures to ensure the safety of our volunteers and employees and will adjust as necessary.
- The Red Cross LA headquarters office in Downtown Los Angeles will remain open for Red Cross staff managing disaster relief operations. All other Red Crossers must work from home or at designated locations in the community where they are performing essential humanitarian relief activities.
- Red Cross LA chapter offices in Glendale, Arcadia, Commerce, Long Beach, Palmdale, and Santa Monica are closed until further notice.
- The following Red Cross LA blood donation sites will remain open with special screening procedures in place: Pomona, Long Beach, Pasadena, Torrance, Woodland Hills.
The Red Cross is also working to ensure we can continue to carry out other aspects of our lifesaving mission, including providing critical disaster relief services. We are working with public health officials to put plans in place to keep local communities and our workforce safe, while still providing emergency shelter and comfort after disasters of all sizes.