California regulations require that any time blood is drawn under a license (for example under the Red Cross license) – it must be under the supervision of a physician or a registered nurse trained in the procedure. The regulations allow for scenarios where a physician is not present (which would be typical for blood drives in California), however, the regulations require that when a physician is not present – the individual placed in charge must be a Registered Nurse.
Red Cross Solution: A Volunteer RN with current license, trained on Red Cross procedures pertaining to donor eligibility and donor reaction management, can act in this capacity. Job duties include:
- Oversight of donor eligibility and donor reactions
- Observe donors post-donation
- Encourage donors to use RapidPass
- Educate donors on best donation type for their blood type
- Build relationships/recruit volunteers