Send Support. Send Thanks.
Spread holiday cheer this season by sending messages of support and thanks to service members, veterans, and military families through the American Red Cross Holidays for Heroes program. We’re accepting cards and large banners that will be distributed to service members and families near and far.
This season’s Holidays for Heroes campaign will officially kick off on Monday, October 30, 2023. Cards and banners are due no later than Thursday, November 30, 2023.
Card and banner making is fun and easy. Families, schools, universities, Boy and Girl Scout Troops, libraries and local businesses have all participated in this unique program, and many community members choose to host card and banner making events with friends, neighbors, or colleagues.
Cards and banners will be delivered to military units, family groups, the VA and military hospitals, and veteran organizations throughout our region and overseas.
Guidelines for Holiday Cards
- Cards can be purchased or homemade.
- Please ensure all cards are signed and do not include envelopes. Please only sign with your first name only.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member,” “Dear Veteran,” “Dear American Warrior,” or “Dear Military Family” and write your best wishes for the holidays and a heartfelt thank you for their service.
- Do not include email addresses or home addresses on the cards - the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- No glitter. Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter.
Guidelines for Holiday Banners
- Banners should be sturdy enough to be shipped overseas and large enough to be viewed when hung on a wall.
- Your banner should include a large, main message to either Veterans or Service Members, and then be filled up with individual messages of best wishes from your neighbors, family members or employees – the more messages, the better!
- Banners will be rolled up for shipment, so please, no posters or laminated banners.
Cards and banners are requested to be dropped off at the closest chapter office no later than Thursday, November 30, 2023. Please coordinate delivery/pick up of completed cards and banners with your local American Red Cross office:
San Diego and Imperial Counties
Please contact Patricia Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Amy Diaz at email@example.com.
Riverside and San Bernardino Counties
Please contact Raul Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for helping us support the military community this holiday season. For more information about Red Cross services for military members, veterans and military families, please visit redcross.org/military.