24-hour Toll-Free Media Hotline:
(669) 209-5266 or NCCRpublicaffairs@redcross.org
SANTA ROSA, CA - The American Red Cross of the North Bay honored 24 individual volunteers and one community partner at its recent Recognition event for Marin County volunteers. The annual event was held virtually in order to adhere to social distancing protocols outlined by the county and state. At the event, Kevin Sagar received the Volunteer of the Year Award.
"Kevin is the silent backbone of Marin Red Cross," says Marcia Antipa, the event's emcee and communications volunteer with the Red Cross Northern California Coastal region. "He is extraordinary in his continued dedication and support to the Red Cross and fellow volunteers. His patience and humor when assisting with the simplest to the most complicated questions are appreciated by all. Along with the many ways he supports and responds to both volunteers and staff, Kevin also plays key roles in disaster responses throughout the Region."
The other recipients of special volunteer awards at this year's recognition event are:
- Disaster Cycle Services Outstanding Support: Lois Roth (San Rafael)
- Disaster Cycle Services Exceptional Leadership: Tiffany Deneaux (San Rafael)
- Disaster Cycle Services Exceptional Response: Kathy Baker (San Anselmo)
- Disaster Cycle Services Extraordinary Commitment and Dedication: Hilary King (Mill Valley) and Roxanne Morse (Tiburon)
- International Services Award: Christine Medeiros (Fairfax)
- Teamwork Award: Dennis Scremin (Sausalito) and the Disaster Mental Health (DMH) Team: Arbella Parrot (Mill Valley), Grace Godino (Bolinas), Pamela Rudd (Berkeley), Michael Tharin (Rohnert Park), Melissa D’Amore (Mill Valley), Daniel Neuharth (Greenbrae), Laurie Javier (Novato), Kathleen Ries (San Rafael), Beth Leib (Larkspur) and Laudene Treshnell (Mill Valley)
- General Support Award: Anna Lane (Larkspur)
- Collaboration Award: Ann Eichhorn (Mill Valley), Lois Roth (San Rafael, and Vincent Valenzuela (Fairfield)
- Good Neighbor and Partnership Award: MultiCultural Center of Marin Douglas Mundo
- New Volunteer Award: Susan Todaro (San Rafael) and Susan Yeres (San Rafael)
- Community Engagement Award: Ellen Seh (San Anselmo)
- Volunteer of the Year: Kevin Sagar (Fairfax)
Eva Marquez, Volunteer and Youth Services Manager for the Red Cross in Marin County says the annual event, which honors key volunteers, also gives the Red Cross an important opportunity to acknowledge all of its 197 Marin County volunteers. In fact, many other volunteers were honored at the event in acknowledgment of the many hours they devoted to Red Cross activities during the 2019 calendar year.
"Our volunteers exemplify the Red Cross spirit and mission in both words and deeds," Marquez says.
Become a Red Cross Volunteer:
You can make a difference in Marin County by becoming a volunteer with the American Red Cross. Volunteers constitute about 94 percent of the total Red Cross workforce to carry out our humanitarian work. Red Cross volunteers are trained to meet the needs of those affected by disasters, providing food, shelter and comfort for families affected by major disasters such as fires, floods, and earthquakes as well as helping local residents prepare for and recover from emergencies of all kinds. We’ll find the position that appeals to you and allows you to use your skills and talents. For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the American Red Cross of the North Bay:
The American Red Cross of the North Bay chapter spans the summit of Mount Tamalpais to the bucolic wine country to Travis Air Force Base, providing relief to those impacted by disasters and empowers its residents to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies. A volunteer network of more than 500 youth, adults, and seniors combined with community partnerships, local government, and donors ensure the Red Cross will always be there whenever needed. For more information, visit our website at redcross.org/bayarea or call us at 1-707-577-7600 to learn more. You may also find us on Facebook and Twitter.