American Red Cross
Northern California Coastal region
Media Contact: Cari Dighton
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
San Francisco — The American Red Cross Northern California Coastal Region recently celebrated the national recognition of six local volunteers. Nominated by their peers, each recipient embodies the true spirit of the Red Cross and has dedicated their time and talent, resulting in noteworthy success. The prestigious Red Cross National Awards honor the highest level of achievement in each volunteer’s respective field.
“Now more than ever, it is important we take time to pause and recognize the accomplishments and sacrifices made by our teammates,” said Jennifer Adrio, CEO of the American Red Cross Northern California Coastal Region. “It’s time to celebrate this spectacular group of volunteers and employees who have given the best of themselves to deliver our lifesaving mission!”
The national award winners from the Red Cross Northern California Coastal Region are:
- Colleen M. Sasso, BSN, RN, PHN (San Mateo County) - Ann Magnussen Award. The Ann Magnussen Award is presented annually to a volunteer or employed registered nurse who has made an outstanding contribution to strengthening or improving American Red Cross programs and services. It is the highest honor of nursing achievement in the American Red Cross.
- Terry Unter (Santa Clara County) - Presidential Award for Excellence - Humanitarian Services. The Presidential Award for Excellence is presented to an individual or group of American Red Cross employees or volunteers who demonstrate exceptional performance or service in support of the American Red Cross delivering on its multi-faceted mission.
- Patty Montmorency (Alameda County) - Presidential Award for Excellence - Biomedical Services. The Presidential Award for Excellence is presented to an individual or group of American Red Cross employees or volunteers who demonstrate exceptional performance or service in support of the American Red Cross delivering on its multi-faceted mission.
- Katie Pierson (San Francisco County) - Jane Delano Nursing Student Scholarship. The Jane Delano Student Nurse Scholarship is awarded to nursing students who have contributed volunteer service to an American Red Cross unit within the past five years; have completed the equivalent of at least one year of college/university credits; and are currently enrolled as a student in good academic standing in an accredited United States nursing school.
- Christine Medeiros (Marin County) – International Services and Service to Armed Forces Department: Exceptional Volunteer Award. This award is given to a volunteer who demonstrates exceptional performance and extensive personal commitment. They must have substantially exceeded the original commitment to International Services and/or Service to the Armed Forces and model exceptional commitment to the Fundamental Principals of the American Red Cross.
- Shivum Kapoor (San Mateo County) – 2020 Navin Narayan Excellence in Youth Leadership. The Navin Narayan Award for Excellence in Youth Leadership is a prestigious honor presented annually to a youth volunteer who demonstrates exemplary Leadership Skills and Red Cross service.
For more background on each of the recipients, please click here to read the Red Cross blog post.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides comfort to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; distributes international humanitarian aid; and supports veterans, military members and their families. The Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to deliver its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.