Register for Classes in Your Area
Our six-level Learn-to-Swim program is unlike anything offered by other learn to swim programs. The program is designed for children over 6 years all the way up to adults, and students progress through the levels at their own pace, mastering the skills in one level before advancing to the next. Each level of our Learn-to-Swim class includes training in basic water safety and helping others in an emergency, in addition to stroke development.
Course length: Varies by location. Courses typically meet for 8-10 sessions of 30-45 minutes each
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
- Level 3: Stroke Development
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency
Children ages 4 and 5 learn water safety, survival skills and foundational swimming concepts in a safe and fun environment. Skills are age-appropriate, allowing students to achieve success on a regular basis.
Course length: Varies by location. Courses typically meet for 30 minutes over 8-10 sessions
- Level 1 helps children become comfortable in the water and basic water safety.
- Level 2 builds on Level 1 and introduces fundamental skills, such as kicking and builds on Level 1.
- Level 3 focuses on coordinating arm and leg movements and improving upon skills learned in Levels 1 and 2.
Developed for children 6 months to 3 years, Parent and Child Aquatics helps young children get ready to swim by emphasizing fun in the water. Parents and children participate in several guided practice sessions that help kids learn elementary swimming skills, including water entry, bubble blowing, front kicking, back floating, underwater exploration and more.
Course length: Varies by location. Courses typically meet for 30 minutes over 7-10 sessions.
- In Level 1, children learn basic skills through fun activities, such as blowing bubbles and playing with water toys.
- In Level 2 parents work with their children to practice floating, kicking and swimming back to the side of the pool.
Your home pool or hot tub will be even more relaxing when you have the peace of mind that comes from being safe and prepared. In this online safety course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of safe home pool/hot tub ownership and maintenance. This course was developed with the National Swimming Pool Foundation® (NSPF).
To enroll, go to homepoolessentials.org.
Course length: 2 hours; web-based course.
- The risks of home pool ownership and operation
- Maintaining a safer and cleaner pool
- Identifying appropriate safety equipment
- Preventing pool and hot tub entrapment hazards
- Responding to emergencies, including reaching, throwing and wading assists
This course, offered in a blended learning format, was developed in partnership with USA Swimming to teach those involved in competitive swimming, including coaches, officials and trainers.
- Responsible coaching
- Competitive swimming safety
- Emergency planning and response
- Common injuries and medical conditions
Our Learn-to-Swim program is unique compared to other learn to swim programs. The program is designed for children over 6 months up to adults. Students progress through the levels at their own pace, mastering the skills in the one level before then advancing to the next.
American Red Cross Aquatic Programs are offered throughout the country. To find your local Learn-to-Swim provider, please visit the Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Providers page.