Learn how to become a lifeguard with the American Red Cross lifeguard training and certification program. Through our training you will learn all of the skills needed to become a professional lifeguard. From First Aid and CPR/AED training to rescue and teamwork skills, the Red Cross has designed a lifeguarding course that effectively combines both written testing skills and comprehension along with valuable hands-on training.
Becoming a Lifeguard
There are two important elements prior to becoming a lifeguard. The American Red Cross requires that you must be at least 15 years old and pass course specific swimming requirements prior to starting training.
Courses and Preparation / Ways to Learn:
- In-person course: Created for those who prefer a traditional learning environment, our in- person courses are led by one of our best-in-class instructors. Our in-person courses provide the time you need to learn, ask questions and understand the hands-on skills needed to become certified as a lifeguard. The total time commitment for the Lifeguarding course is 25 hours / 20 minutes.
- Blended learning: Designed for those who need more flexibility, our blended learning option combines both in-person and online coursework for a total time commitment of 19 hours / 30 minutes in-person and 7 hours / 30 minutes of online work for the Lifeguarding course
There are three main training options to choose from when preparing to become a lifeguard: Training options feature three core courses which can be customized with a variety of optional add-on modules:
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding (water up to 5' deep)
- Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding (water up to 3' deep)
A 2 year certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED is issued upon successful completion of our training and coursework. A digital certification is available upon completion.
Materials: The American Red Cross offers the following materials to assist you in getting properly trained and certified while in preparation to becoming a lifeguard:
For over 100 years, the American Red Cross has taught life-saving techniques and valuable skills in the event of an emergency. From helping to prevent injury and drowning to teaching water safety and the signs to look for in an emergency, the America Red Cross is the industry leader for training and certification of this kind. Our training options are available in varied formats in order to best suite your learning style.
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 16.1.1, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getContent, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: Cannot call property isOk in object [HTTPService id=1366080515]. It is not a function, it is "object".;