American Red Cross Basic Life Support classes are developed under the guidance of, and reviewed by, the American Red Cross Scientific Advisory Council. Content in this program is consistent with:
- The International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) 2015–2018 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science with Treatment Recommendations.
- The 2015–2018 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
Created with the latest information available, our BLS classes allow you to learn life-saving techniques and can help prepare you for a career in the medical field, as a police officer or firefighter or another career where caring for others is part of the job.
BLS Classes for the Way You Learn
- In Person: Led by best-in-class instructors, our in-person courses combine lecture with hands-on skills sessions. Created for those who learn best in a traditional classroom setting, our in-person classes give you the time you need to learn the information presented, ask questions and become comfortable with the hands-on skills you'll need to pass your BLS certification exams.
- Blended Learning: Using a combination of self-paced, interactive online BLS classes and in-person skill sessions, our blended learning program gives you the ability to train on your schedule, improve your clinical decision-making skills, learn the latest science-based protocols, then demonstrate your skills to a certified instructor.
What You'll Learn
In order to help you respond safely to a range of medical problems, our BLS class schedule includes coursework in:
- Rapid Assessment and Visual Survey
- CPR/AED for Adults, Children and Infants
- Obstructed Airways
- Opioid Overdoses
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Communication and Teamwork
- The Emergency Medical Services System
- Legal Considerations
Certification Made Simple. Fast. Easy. Digital.
When you take a BLS class from the American Red Cross, and earn certification, you'll get anytime, anywhere access to Red Cross Digital Certificates, as well as the ability to print, share, and download your certificate wherever and whenever you like. Digital certificates can be viewed, printed or shared online and can be accessed anytime through your Red Cross Account. Each certificate includes a unique ID and a QR code which meets employment requirements and allows employers to easily confirm your certificate is valid. Class participants and employers can visit redcross.org/confirm and enter the ID found on the digital certificate (or scan the QR code with a standard QR reader using a smart device) to access a copy of the valid certificate with student training information.