We are nearing the end of 2019, and for many of us, making charitable contributions at the end of the year is part of our holiday traditions. You can #GiveWithMeaning by making a tax-deductible gift at redcross.org. The Red Cross depends on generous donations to provide support, strength and hope to people in need year-round.
Thanks to the generosity of donors, when large disasters devastated families in the U.S. this year, nearly 9,000 Red Cross workers — 90 percent of them volunteers — left their homes to:
- Serve over 1.1 million meals and snacks with partners.
- Distribute over 354,000 relief items.
- Make over 92,000 contacts to support health, mental health, spiritual care and disability needs.
- Provide over 79,000 overnight shelter stays with partners.
The Red Cross also provided emergency financial assistance to nearly 376,000 people for disaster needs like food and lodging. Many were recovering from home fires — which account for most of the disasters that the Red Cross responds to every eight minutes in the U.S.
Generous donations help save lives and alleviate suffering in other ways too. With this support, on average each year, the Red Cross is able to:
- Collects more than 4.6 million blood donations and nearly 1 million platelet donations from more than 2.6 million volunteer donors to help patients in need.
- Train more than 4.8 million people in first aid, water safety and other skills that help save lives.
- Provide nearly 471,000 services to military members, veterans and their families through our Hero Care Network.
- Help 230 million people outside the U.S. through American Red Cross disease prevention activities and disaster services.
Please consider donating to support our lifesaving mission. You can also help people in need by volunteering or donating blood. Learn more at redcross.org.