It’s National Volunteer Week, and the American Red Cross recognizes and praises the work of the 275,000 selfless individuals who are the true heart of our organization. Our volunteers generously give their valuable time to support people who look to the Red Cross during their most vulnerable times.
JOIN US — CRITICAL NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS
During National Volunteer Week, the Red Cross asks that people consider joining our volunteer ranks to help fill an acute need as the climate crisis worsens and the need for shelter, hot meals, health services and emotional support grows. As we head into spring, the Red Cross is working to grow our disaster workforce as we get ready for the upcoming hurricane and wildfire seasons. Spring into action and join us by becoming a volunteer today.
- Disaster Action Team Member: As a Disaster Action Team volunteer, you can be a source of refuge and support when it’s needed most. From home fires to storms, unexpected emergencies happen every day, but you can help as a Red Cross volunteer.
- Shelter Services: Support the day-to-day activities within an emergency shelter by helping with reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Free online training will be provided.
- Disaster Health Services: These valuable volunteers use their professional skills as licensed healthcare providers to deliver hands-on care to people in shelters. There is also a need for Mental Health Services volunteers.
The Red Cross also has a need for volunteers to help ensure new moms, cancer patients and accident victims have access to safe, lifesaving blood. We’re recruiting blood donor ambassadors to be a friendly face and help check blood donors into their appointments, answer questions and give out post donation snacks. We also need transportation specialist volunteers who support hospital patients by delivering lifesaving blood from Red Cross facilities to local hospitals.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to get started. Training is free, but the hope you provide as a Red Cross volunteer to people in need is priceless. Learn more at this virtual volunteer information session on April 18 from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. ET about our most-needed volunteer positions and talk with a Red Cross representative. Register today.
VOLUNTEERS SUPPORT PEOPLE IN NEED EVERY DAY
We thank our volunteers for their time and support. They make it possible for us to achieve our mission of preventing and alleviating human suffering in the face of emergencies. True community heroes, Red Cross volunteers care for people in need every day, across the country and around the globe. Through the global Red Cross network, almost 15 million volunteers work for the good of humanity in more than 192 countries around the world.
Our American Red Cross volunteers:
- Enable the Red Cross to respond to an average of more than 60,000 disasters every year
- Help train more than 4.6 million people in Red Cross lifesaving skills
- Provide more than 540,000 services to military members, veterans and their families
- Reconnect more than 4,000 families separated by war or disaster around the world
- Donate nearly 4.5 million blood donations and more than 1 million platelet donations to support hospital patients
PLEASE GIVE BLOOD Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood. We depend on generous volunteer blood donors to provide lifesaving blood for those in need – each and every day. The Red Cross encourages eligible individuals to give blood now. To find a blood drive, use the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).