Donations Vital in Supporting Military and Veteran Communities
WASHINGTON, DC, November 8, 2018 —As America honors the men and women who’ve served in the military this Veterans Day, the American Red Cross is also recognizing members of its Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) Giving Program. Generous contributions from Ahold, the Home Depot Foundation and Reliance Steel & Aluminum support the Red Cross mission to provide comfort and care to members of the military and veteran communities.
“Members of the SAF Giving Program are among our most valued corporate and foundation partners,” said Koby Langley, senior vice president of Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces. “We deeply appreciate their meaningful commitment that enables us to be there to help members of the military, veterans and their families at every stage of military life.”
Every day throughout the year, the Red Cross serves 2 million military personnel and veterans by providing 24/7 global emergency communication services and support in health care facilities across the country and around the globe. More than 14,000 volunteers and employees help military families cope with deployments and support returning combat veterans as they reintegrate into the community.
Last year alone, corporate investment in SAF resulted in:
- Providing more than 325,000 emergency communication services to more than 88,000 military members and their families.
- Training of more than 22,000 family members in improving coping skills and resiliency.
- Distributing more than 420,000 care, comfort and therapy items at military hospitals and medical facilities.
- Supporting 159,000 individuals through rehabilitation and morale programs.
- Reaching 847,000 individuals through “Get to Know Us Before You Need Us” briefings.
To support Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces mission, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make a donation.