FORT MYERS, Fla. (May 13, 2020) – Currently, Red Cross team members are working closely with local emergency response officials to support families impacted by the blazing wildfires in Collier County.
A team of trained Red Cross disaster workers is supporting two County-managed reception centers to coordinate a safe place to stay and other support needed for the families currently in the threatening neighborhoods of the wildfires.
As we continue to monitor the impact of the wildfires, here are important safety tips you can follow if a wildfire threatens your home or loved ones:
WILDFIRE SAFETY STEPS
A wildfire can spread very quickly, giving you little time to evacuate to safety. Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. Obey evacuation orders from officials.
- Back your car into the garage or park it outside in the direction of your evacuation route.
- Confine pets to one room so you can find them if you need to evacuate quickly.
- Limit exposure to smoke and dust - keep indoor air clean by closing windows and doors to prevent outside smoke from getting in.
- Do not use anything that burns and adds to indoor pollution such as candles, fireplaces and gas stoves.
If you are trapped outdoors, crouch in a pond, river or pool.
- Do not put wet clothing or bandanas over your mouth or nose. Moist air causes more damage to airways than dry air at the same temperature.
- If there is nobody of water, look for shelter in a cleared area or among a bed of rocks. Lie flat, face down, and cover your body with soil. Breathe the air close to the ground to avoid scorching your lungs or inhaling smoke.
- Do not return home until officials say it is safe to do so.
- Inspect the roof immediately and extinguish any sparks or embers. Wildfires may have left embers that could reignite.
- For several hours afterward, recheck for smoke and sparks throughout the home, including the attic. Keep checking your home for embers that could cause fires.
DOWNLOAD RED CROSS APPS The Red Cross Emergency App can help keep you and your loved ones safe with real-time alerts and safety advice on wildfires. The Red Cross First Aid App provides instant access to information on handling the most common first aid emergencies. Download these apps for free by searching for ‘American Red Cross’ in your app store or at redcross.org/apps.