Poison Precautions and Prevention
More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year across the country. The Red Cross urges people to follow these steps to help prevent, treat and respond to poisoning:
- If you suspect a poisoning emergency, call the National Poison Control Center toll-free at (800) 222-1222. Post this and other emergency phone numbers by all of your telephones.
- Keep all chemicals and medicines locked up and out of sight.
- Be careful when handling substances, chemicals and cleaners that could be harmful. Only use them in well-ventilated areas and wear protective clothing, such as gloves and a face mask.
- Use common sense with your own medications.
- Keep medications in the containers they came in. Make sure they are kept out of children's reach.
- Read the product information carefully. Use only as directed.
- Be aware of the possible side effects and any possible interactions with other medications you are taking. Ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Never use another person's prescribed medications or medications that have expired